Tuesday, March 1, 2011

J-Horror

I believe I've blogged about this before, but to reiterate, I dislike scary movies, or psychological horror. I cannot separate myself from the story, I get lost in it- which is why I actually love the fantasy genre the most. Movies like 'The Grudge' or 'The Ring' I've never seen, and never will. Even the movie we watched in class, 'Pulse'- not the older one with the narration- freaked me out immensely. I went home feeling as though I should be weary of my computer, or the walls, for if I turn on the light in the dark room, someone or something could be standing there ominously. Literally as I'm typing this I am scaring myself because I have to think about that movie again. It's all in my head.
Old japanese horror stories play on your values I notice. Like the belief that everything in this world has a soul, and that the souls sometimes do not disappear with the body after death. Also I noticed if you stray from your values, or what is right in culture's view, bad things tend to happen. For example with 'Pulse', the introduction of technology, the breaking of older, traditional values, leads to suicide, which leads to unrest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment